Thursday, July 9, 2009

Honest Scraps

First - I just finished my fourth lesson since the fiasco with my wrist. Things are going well although my legs need to remember they're role better. To be fair, I started doing 2 lessons a week last week so I didn't give my body any time to "ramp-up". That's ok, It'll come. I actually think the time off helped the mental side of riding, even if it hurt the physical. I spoke with Edgar's owner who is considering selling him since the one exercise rider she approved of couldn't control him and I was still not riding. I will discuss this on the blog more later but I'm feeling responsible for things that aren't really my problem. Not so much the training aspect, I've always been honest with his owner about the stunts he pulls, but I can only speak from my experience not from someone else's ability. More from the perspective that if I don't keep riding him she will sell.
~~~~
Horse of Course kindly gave me my first blogger award! This award is all about sharing a little of yourself and also highlighting the blogs you like. I think this is a great way to learn about other blogs and the bloggers behind them. However, most, if not all, of the blogs I read have
already received this award. Great for them, not so good for me. I think instead I will post websites I enjoy over the next few posts. It's all about expanding horizons right? Well, there are only so many blogs you can read in a day and the honest scrap has made the rounds!

Here are some honest scraps about me:

  1. I am a certified open-water scuba diver. My husband and I took the training, studied and completed the required dives (and then some) on our honeymoon 2 years ago.

  1. I can get loud. Sometimes when I’m angry, sometimes when I’m happy or excited. Sometimes for no apparent reason at all.

  1. I owned my own horse once. His name was Will Beware and he was pretty awesome though I didn’t own him for long. I am trying to get his (my?) story written and submitted to Mugwump Chronicles. It’s hard. I’ve searched for Willie all over the internet but I don’t know what happened to him or even what age he would be, though he would have to be at least 25.

  1. I draw quite a bit but usually for only a few weeks a year. Don’t know why. Nudes are my favorite.

  1. I hate sleeping without an open window. I love naps, especially on a sunny spring/summer day in the early afternoon with fresh air coming in. There is something so luxurious about it that I just love.

  1. I hate long sleeves on shirts but love a good sweater.

  1. I moved to a different city from my husband for 2 years to complete a Masters degree in Industrial & Organizational Psychology. The independence it took for me to do this is very important to me.

  1. It often takes several attempts for me to leave the house when I’m going out. Not because I’m obsessive-compulsive but because I often forget stuff.

  1. I love vegetable gardening. I have fond memories of weeding the tomatoes and peppers with my Nonna (grandma in Italian) and then sitting and eating cucumbers whole. For the last few years, I have been filling my balcony with tomatoes, lettuces and herbs because I have no yard. That’s about to change!

  1. I am very fortunate to have a husband who is still my best friend and a lot of fun after 10 years together. Granted, occasionally I think he had a lobotomy or something and I don’t understand him at all…but mostly we see things in similar ways or have civil debates :)

Websites:
To come, I need to go to bed!


4 comments:

Once Upon an Equine said...

Enjoyed reading your "scraps". Where do you like to scuba dive the most? I wanted to learn when I was younger, but never did. Congrats on the Masters. That's very sweet that your hubby is your best friend.

Hope you can keep riding Edgar. Marley was a pill on our last trail ride. Fjords are very willful.

RuckusButt said...

Thanks OnceUpon! Sadly I've only ever scuba dived in Mexico, near Tulum. It's only sad because I'd love to do more, Mexico is amazing and beautiful for diving. You should try it sometime if you can! It's all mind over matter. We have plans to do more soon, now that saving for the down-payment is over (we did that in only a year, each putting away about 25% of our earnings, so we can now save for other things!).

Fjords ARE willful. I miss Edgar and I do plan on riding him again but I worry that I am the only reason she will keep him. It's a lot of responsibility on me (I think) for a horse I didn't buy! I just don't feel it is a sustainable solution. What if I want to lease/buy my own horse and don't have time? What if I don't want to risk hurting myself by riding a barely-broke willful Fjord in nothing but a hay field? All things to consider...and none of them are taken lightly by me. Trust me, I lose sleep over everything.

HorseOfCourse said...

How fun to read your scraps :-)

We went to Thailand last year, and my daughter and I took the PADI Open Water too. I get all happy inside when I think about it; it was marvellous! The sight depth was incredable, and we saw all kinds of fish. Even sea turtles. Wonderful, wonderful!
My daughter was 13 then, and it was such fun because I felt that she was a fullworthy "buddy", and that I could trust her should anything happen.
I like to sleep with an open window too. I want it to be cold in the bedroom, but snug and warm in the bed.
Edgar. If the owner does not have an interest in her horse, then it is not fair to put the responsability on your shoulders IMO. Out from your description it sounds as if he needs some further education, right? And if you are the only one riding him, it is a tough job to get him to progress enough to be an enjoyable ride.

RuckusButt said...

HoC - how cool is it that you've taken the PADI open water too! Our instructor would make these hand gestures that we interpreted as him telling us to hold hands. I thought it was odd and actually got a bit annoyed - we may be newlyweds but comeon! We're diving!! Turns out he was giving us the symbol for sea turtle sighting! Sea turtles were among my favorite for sure.

I am going to wait to post properly about Edgar. I am packing the moving truck today and tomorrow and moving day is Monday!