Saturday, July 17, 2010

Photo Update - First "Big" Harvest!

Today I bit the bullet and harvested more beets as well as a bunch of carrots. It was surprisingly a little nerve-wracking. I absolutely love harvesting my own produce...but at the same time I feel this sense of not wanting to stop the growing or not wanting to take too much. It's hard to explain. I'm like a hoarder over my own vegetables! Fortunately I can push that desire aside and get to the business of enjoying the fruits of my (ahem, our) labour.

Everything is looking good. 
These are the first carrots I've ever grown!

Hey, honey? Eat your heart out!

Now, on to a few other pictures.

Peppers. It is oddly difficult to photograph these. It would help if I got closer but I didn't want to bother moving the fencing. I could step over it but I am convinced that if I don't have a quick escape route the earwigs will get me. I'm only half kidding.

We have SO many peppers. 
It's hard to capture in a photo, 
so here is a semi- close up of a couple.

The full sized tomato plants are absolutely heavy with fruit. I have never had such healthy, productive tomato plants. Since they are still green, they don't photograph all that well, so I'll just post the little guys, who are ripening up.

Cherry tomatoes.

Yellow cherry tomatoes.


The big picture, taken last weekend. Thanks to Melissa & Jason at Paradigm Farms, now all I think when I look at the shed is how fabulous it would look with a cupola!


Hydrangea and beans in the background. I just realized
there are many bean pods that I think are ready to be
picked. If only I knew what to do with them once I do! 

That's all (for now) folks!

4 comments:

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

Those are some fabulous looking carrots - the greens look as yummy as the carrots themselves!

I think your garden shed would look smashing with a cupola! ;)

Shaheen said...

Your carrots look great, so does you beetroot.


I Know what you mean about hoarding your vegetables, I felt like that when I began growing them. I just wanted to keep them and admire them.

RuckusButt said...

Thanks guys! The carrots are so good and the beets are out of this world!

Can you believe I gave all of those carrots away? A good cure for being reluctant to harvest them! My nieces enjoyed munching the smaller ones with the tops still on.

Hmm, it seems Jason's comment disappeared...

Once Upon an Equine said...

That must be very rewarding work...and delicious. I love beets. What will you make with the beets?