Monday, December 27, 2010

Looking Forward

There comes a point when you feel so behind on updating your blog-life that the thought of bringing readers up to speed is somewhat daunting. There is a certain rhythm and pace to blogging, at least for me. Once I lost it, it seemed ever harder to get it back. I tried a couple times but I still didn't manage to get the groove back.

As a result, I decided that I needed to stop worrying about what I hadn't blogged about. Stop feeling like I needed to provide somewhat of a continuous narrative. Sure, that would be great, but too much has come and gone to record it all. Who cares anyway? Mostly me, lol.  So, I'll move forward.

I will say that the last little while has been challenging. Work is pretty good but I am still the new fish with a lot of expertise that is, in part, tangental to the unit. Still, I think I'm adding a lot and they are adding something to me as well. Some of the dynamics of the interpersonal relations are interesting on many levels, so it's been a learning experience, to say the least.

I've had some challenges with family relationships which made this Christmas season feel strange. I still hosted a wonderful dinner for many of my family members and had my Mom and her husband spend Christmas eve with us. It is a very nice thing to have the ability to welcome overnight guests without much fuss.

Dinner was awesome, if I do say so myself. We had a local turkey from the same source as the chickens we've been getting for a few years. These birds taste happy.  Now, I know that might sound horrible to some of my vegetarian readers. I understand.  Maybe I should do a post on my choice to eat meat. Anyway, these birds live a good life, are not mass-produced, and are raised close to where they are slaughtered.  They get to move while alive. So yes, they taste happy. 
They look pretty happy too, even in a 
poorly composed photo of a partially 
carved turkey. This baby was 21.5lbs.

My husband has become quite the saucier and made the best turkey gravy EVER this year. His diligent basting resulted in a moist and beautifully golden bird. This year, I was in charge of stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, and general menu preparation and organization.

We have about 8 litres of stock prepared and frozen in 1 litre packages and 4 good-size packs of turkey meat - meals for a rainy/lazy/busy/lonely day. I keep hinting at my husband what good risotto that stock would make...so far he is pretending to not get the hint. We both know he does and I know I'll get to eat his awesome risotto made with our awesome stock soon!

I hope everyone had a nice holiday season. Hang on to that which is good in your life.

1 comment:

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

It is your blog so if you want to post about eating turkey I wouldn't lose much sleep over it! Glad you made some good memories and had a nice holiday. The turkey looked delish!