Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Best Laid Plans.

"The best laid schemes of mice and men,
Go often askew"
~Robert Burns



This week, I grappled with a few schedule changes for our upcoming show...with my coach, Brumby's owner, and my mom (who would be helping me out with Hazel Saturday and Sunday). Add in the shoe Brumby tossed on Tuesday and I was begining to wonder if all this was worth it. All week, I just told myself that the show day itself would tell me if it was worth it or not. I don't mean whether we were in the ribbons or not, that is not the main goal for the time being (though of course I'd be there to do my best and hope my best was competetive). But the real test is whether I had fun, learned something, and gave Brumby a good schooling experience.

The shoe was replaced, the schedules were finalized, and entries were sent.

Entries were due Thursday by 9pm. About 30 min later I was browsing our local horsie forum, thinking I would do a little dream shopping before bed. Instead, I discovered the show I had so carefully prepared for was canceled. There were not enough entries.

I knew this show tended to be more quite than most others on the circuit, but to cancel altogether?? BOO!  From what I've learned, there are apparently some other, uh, personality factors, that keep people away. Plus there is a rated show just about every weekend all summer around here, so many people choose to take this weekend off, for various reasons.

Net result: no show for me!  At least this weekend. I will go to the one next weekend or the one after.

1 comment:

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

Well - talk about having your toys taken away from you. That stinks!